Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Peanut butter and caramel sandwich cookies with nutella filling!

Cookie sandwiches, yum!!
I wanted to create a different recipe that combines some of my favorite sweet things, but I didn't want to  stress myself and stay kitchen bound for hours and hours. So I went into the kitchen  I opened the fridge, and voila, the idea came to my mind.  I saw my big nutella jar and I knew I needed to do something that uses said that luscious nutty chocolate cream.

So the train of thought led me to think of something I can sandwich nutella in between. The first thing that popped into my mind was to create a cookie sandwich with a nutella filling. I also wanted to have a more complex flavor so I opted for peanut butter cookies.

The first time I tried peanut butter I hated it and I couldn't understand why people would eat such a thing. Few years later, I tried peanut butter again and I don't know what happened, but I am officially addicted to peanut butter.  I always have a jar or two in the cupboard!

Nutella and salted caramel filled cookies
So finally I decided it will make these sandwiches, I got my scale, my food processor, prepared my ingredients and went on with the preparation. The result was just amazing and what was more amazing is how little effort it took to prepare.

Those cookies were perfect for the weather we have had the past few days, rainy and cold. These chewy yet crumbly cookies were so comforting with a hot cup of coffee, watching TV and hiding under the blanket!
Simply irresistible. 

What you need for about 20 cookies:
  • 40 g unsalted butter (cold)
  • 60 g peanut butter (I used smooth)
  • 30 g granulated white sugar
  • 100 g flour
  • 20 g caramel sauce
I had more than my fair share of cookie sandwiches!

Combine all ingredients except the caramel in your food processor and pulse until you have a rather sandy mixture (it takes less than a minute). If you take some of the dough and press it will come together. Now add the caramel and pulse again, the dough will come together, if not add some more caramel, but add a bit at a time as you don´t want a soggy dough!

Form the dough into a disk and let it rest for 30 min in the fridge.


Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it between two sheets of baking paper until it is about half cm or less in thickness. Using a round cutter, cut small circles. My circles were around 5 cm in diameter. Before baking the cookies, put them in a freezer to rest for 15 minutes, this way they will keep their shape.

Put the cookies on a baking tray lined with baking paper in a preheated oven (175C) and bake for about 10 minutes.

Now just spread your nutella, or some salted caramel sauce and enjoy! 
Served with a warm hot chocolate, it's the ultimate comfort!

3 comments: