Saturday, July 8, 2017

Vegan Chocolate Cake with Caramelized Pecans



Vegan baking can be a bit challenging, no question about it. But with some tweaks here and there, and playing around with ingredients, nothing is too difficult.
Although vegan baking seems like a novelty, in reality, it's not. A while ago, I posted a traditional vegan recipe that I grew with and I know there are many more out there.

Most vegan recipes are an adaptation from regular ones laden with the usual suspects of non-vegan ingredients! The chocolate cake recipe I´m sharing today is adapted from a book my brother gave me a couple of years ago called "The Cake Decorator´s Bible". I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding caramelized pecans  and rum. I figured that the combination would be successful. I mean after all, it's chocolate and nuts, you can never go wrong with that!

The end result was pretty amazing. The cake was very moist and fluffy with a deep chocolate flavor and a satisfying butteriness coming from the pecans. You won´t miss the eggs and butter at all. 


To make this cake you need (23 cm loaf pan):
  • 200 g pastry flour
  • 35 cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2  tsp baking soda
  • 100 g white sugar and 50 g brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp dark rum
  • 100 g caramelized pecans, processed into powder
  • 80 ml vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
  • 230 ml water

In a bowl combine  flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground pecans. Whisk to combine, then add the oil, water and rum. Whisk until no flour lumps are visible.

Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 min in a preheated oven (160 C) or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Leave the cake to cool for five minutes in the pan. Remove and let it cool completely on a wire rack. 

You can serve the cake as it is, or with chocolate syrup, and if you want an extra luscious touch you can prepare, like I did, an easy vegan chocolate cream frosting.

For the frosting you need:
  • 100 g vegan butter or margarine
  • 10 g cocoa powder
  • 50 grams ground caramelized pecans (optional)
  • 30 g powdered sugar; you can add more if you like it sweeter. 

Combine all the ingredients and whisk until fluffy. Add on the top of the cake and garnish to your liking.

I hope you give this vegan recipe a try and I would love it if you shared your ideas for vegan baking.

Bon appetit!


2 comments:

  1. I just love the sound of this cake! It's the next recipe onmy list to try out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I really hope you give it a try :)

      Delete