Saturday, May 26, 2018

An Exquisite Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam


Although spring in Madrid this year did not offer us the blue skies and warm temperatures it usually does, but I still wanted to enjoy the season's gifts the best way I can.

For some reason, rhubarb is not a popular ingredient in Madrid. You rarely, if ever, find it  in grocery shops or supermarkets. Being the person who likes to try new tastes and flavors, I was curious about rhubarb, but I never had the chance to try it. The first I got to sample this wonderful ingredient was during a layover at Frankfurt Airport, out of all places! My body was screaming for a cup of coffee and sweets. I ordered a cup of coffee from a cute little coffee shop and while inspecting their sweet offerings I hit the jackpot: a rhubarb pie. I looked no further. I knew I had to have it. Airport food is not the most glamorous, but the pie was a very good introduction to rhubarb. I watched the planes take off and land while sipping the warm coffee and nibbling on the pie.   

Luckily last year, I found a nearby shop where I can order rhubarb when in season. While they are not the prettiest rhubarbs out there (like the ones that you would get in Northern European countries) but they still do the job.

Last year I made roasted rhubarb sorbet, a pie and a jam and it was so good that this year I decided to stock up and fill my fridge with jars of jam that are just begging to be enjoyed.


One thing I like about rhubarb that it does go well with other fruits. Besides the pure rhubarb jam, I do jam mixes and combine rhubarb with other seasonal fruits. In this post, I am sharing a jam recipe that combines two delicious fruits that make a wonderful jam combo: strawberry and rhubarb.

For about 1 kilo of jam you need:
  • 500 g of strawberries, chopped into small pieces
  • 400 g of chopped rhubarb stalks 
  • 500 g sugar
  • 30 ml of lemon or lime juice
  • half vanilla bean, with seeds (optional)
  • 1 piece of orange rind (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a pot. Mix for a bit then cook over a medium heat for about 10 min. Lower the heat and continue cooking until you have a rather thick mixture.

Because strawberries and rhubarb have low pectin levels, you can add some pectin if you wish to achieve a thick and nicely set jam. You can also use sugar with added pectin.
Keep in mind that lemon juice does has some pectin. I did not add any additional pectin, but I cooked the jam for a bit longer, almost an hour over a very gentle flame.

To test the thickness of the jam just run your finger down the back of the spoon, if the 2 lines stay separate then it´s time to turn off the heat. Pour the jam in sterilized jars, close the lid and let cool. 


To sterilize the jars, you can place them in boiling water for at least ten minutes, then dry over clean sheets. Alternatively, if the jars are microwavable sterilize them in a microwave. Wash the jars thoroughly, then put them in the microwave for few minutes.
Place the cooled jam in the fridge to preserve it for the longest period possible. 

Jams, quite often, seem as too simple and mundane. However, the touch of orange and vanilla make this jam anything but dull. Trust me, you are going to love every spoonful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment